- Customized portfolio approach – each client has a unique risk tolerance, time horizon and spending requirement, therefore each portfolio can be customized with these factors in mind.
- We believe in a blended approach utilizing both passive or index strategies in certain asset classes and active managers when it makes sense to do so on a fee adjusted basis.
- Costs matter; we seek to minimize management and trading fees, evaluating managers on a net of fee basis and negotiating fees when possible.
- When we recommend active equity managers, we prefer concentrated strategies and often avoid active managers who manage closely to an index or “hug” a benchmark.
- Holistic, portfolio first approach to manager selection; managers are not evaluated in isolation, but must be additive and complementary to the entire portfolio.
- We will occasionally make tactical asset allocation recommendations for opportunistic or defensive reasons, but the Investment Policy Statement will always govern the allocation and allowable ranges.